Re: [E] [Onap-arc] Shared VNFs and Services

Ulas Kozat

Hi Gil,

Could you clarify why a non-shareable VNF/PNF can only support one slice instance (hence one slice type)? I would imagine that a VNF/PNF instance out of the box may be able to support both eMBB or URLLC slice types. At least for gNB whether virtualized or not, I expect this to be the norm.

Also, I would think it should be the access policies in the control plane not the NF implementation itself should render an NF shareable or not in practice. A network function is typically designed to serve multiple network flows (and hence almost always shareable from the traffic flows perspective). Thus it can be wrapped around by a proper network controller and be shared among services/users/access groups. Or it can be dedicated to a particular service/user/access group. Could you clarify if I misunderstood or misapplied your comment on “shareability” as an intrinsic feature of NF?

Thanks,

Ulas

Ulas C. Kozat, Ph.D.

Futurewei Technologies, Inc.

2330 Central Expressway

Santa Clara, CA 95050

Tel:       +1-408-330-5143

Fax:      +1-408-330-5088

E-mail: ukozat@...

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information from Futurewei, which are intended only for the person or entity whose email address appears above. Any use of the information attached or contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or any unapproved dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or response email immediately and delete this original message.

From: <onap-arc@...> on behalf of Srini <srinivasa.r.addepalli@...>
Date: Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM
To: "gil.bullard@..." <gil.bullard@...>
Cc: "onap-arc@..." <onap-arc@...>, "onap-discuss@..." <onap-discuss@...>
Subject: [E] [Onap-arc] Shared VNFs and Services

Hi,

As  I understand from Tuesday architecture meeting that Networking slicing is one use case for Shared VNFs.  In some cases, each slice would have dedicated VNF instances and in some cases, there are shared VNFs and shared PNFs.  I understand from your presentation on how to represent the shared VNF in the model (during design time). What I did not see is on how the consumer would request for the VNF to be dedicated or use the shared one Or is it that if the VNF is onboarded as ‘shared’, is it always shared?

Reason for asking is this:

-          In network slicing, there is a possibility that a given VNF is sharable only across set of network slices.  For example, network slices belonging to an Enterprise can share the VNF, but not with network slices of other Enterprises.

How does designers/administrator provide the access control information on the sharing aspect?

Thanks
Srini