MSO code flow to OpenStack for Orchestration

Arun Arora

Hello there,

I am writing to discuss about the code flow in MSO to orchestrate the Virtual Resources.

Currently, we are trying to understand how the OpenStack APIs are called from MSO for orchestration, and, if there is any intermediate layer in MSO which makes a decision about using the underlying Cloud platform, if there are more than one. However, as per our understanding currently only OpenStack is supported for now.

Our current understanding is based on the MSO HLD available in ONAP wiki and static code reading. Following is what we understand and request community’s comments on our understanding:

Orchestration Request Flow in MSO - from Network/ VNF Adaptor onwards till OpenStack

  1. MSO has Network adapter and VNF adapter which are used to create Virtual Network or VNF resources
  2. Both Network adapter and VNF adapter call the OpenStack KeyStone and Heat APIs for authentication as well as service orchestration
  3. Following are the major APIs (with filename) called to create Virtual Network or VNF resources

MSO Network Adaptor

createNetwork() ------------------------> createNetworkContrail() ------------------------> createNetwork() ------------------------> createStack()------------------------> OpenStack KeyStone & HEAT API calls

NetworkAdapterRest.java                        MsoNetworkAdapterImpl.java                                MsoNetworkAdapterImpl.java                 MsoHeatUtils.java

MSO VNF Adaptor

createVfModule() ------------------------> createVfModule() ------------------------> CreateStack()------------------------> OpenStack KeyStone & HEAT API calls

VnfAdapterRest.java                                     MsoNetworkAdapterImpl.java                   MsoHeatUtils.java

We would like to confirm our current understanding. Please provide your comments and suggestions on this.

Also, currently we are not clear about the code from the MSO northbound Interfaces to Netwotk/ VNF Adaptor. So, any help on this as well is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Arun Arora

Daniel Rose

Those methods are called from the BPMN workflows that run on the camunda engine.

Thanks,

Daniel Rose

ECOMP / ONAP

com.att.ecomp

732-420-7308

[...]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response J

We will check and get back if we have any further queries.

Apart from this, is the code flow from Network/ VNF adapter to OpenStack is correct as mentioned below?

Also, we concluded that there is no Intermediate layer between MSO and OpenStack API calls i.e. OpenStack APIs are called directly from Network/ VNF adapter. Can you confirm my this understanding as well?

Best Regards,

Arun Arora

[...]

I believe that flow of calls is correct with the exception of I don’t think they call the contrail method all the time. The bpmn flow either creates a vanilla neutron network or a contrail neutron newwork, I think you have both in one flow. Adding in a MultiVIM layer is one of the R1 goals, and right now there is only direct calls to openstack.

That said someone like Rob Daugherty can give you a better understanding of the code if you have more specific qustions

Daniel Rose

ECOMP / ONAP

com.att.ecomp

732-420-7308

[...]

Awesome!!

Thanks Danial J

Best Regards,

Arun

[...]

Rob Daugherty

Arun,

Just confirming what said: OpenStack APIs are called directly from the MSO Network/VNF adapter.  The BPMN flow makes calls to the adapter to perform those operations.

Rob

From: <onap-discuss-bounces@...> on behalf of DeWayne Filppi <dewayne@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM
To: "NOSHPITZ, CLAUDE" <cn5542@...>
Cc: "onap-discuss@..." <onap-discuss@...>

No, you're not misreading it.  A layer of mediation is a requirement of multi-VIM.  There is however, no "requirement" (using the term strictly), for SO to use it, particularly if it jeopardizes SO, and therefore the entire system.  Having said that, obviously if multi-VIM is available as planned in R1, and it provides all the needed functionality required by the use cases, then it should be used.  This only makes sense because the MSO already has Openstack capability.  It wouldn't make sense if a brand new interface had to be developed as an alternative.  IOW, SO needs multi-VIM, but has a fallback.

--DeWayne

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM, NOSHPITZ, CLAUDE <cn5542@...> wrote:

Apologies if I am misreading this -- it seems like interposing at least some layer of mediation in front of "raw" OpenStack calls is a pretty clear requirement for R1.

If that's already covered in MultiVIM,  then would the question be more about minimizing technical debt due to non-future-proof  workflows or other tooling?

--Claude

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 3:55 PM, DeWayne Filppi <dewayne@...> wrote:
>
> I'd say the ideal would be for the MSO/SO to not directly call VIM APIs, but would not want to jeopardize the SO project based on an external dependency that frankly isn't necessary to reach the use case goal for R1.  Just my 2 cents.

DeWayne Filppi, Director, Solutions Architect

M: +17145121706

http://cloudify.co

@dfilppi

Gaurav Gupta

Hi Rob , Daniel

To futher investigate and difference between createNetwork and createNetworkContrail .

We have come to an understanding that based on orchestration Mode whether to use createNetwork/createNetworkContrail is used .

Incase of the Orchestration Mode  Heat  CreateNetworkContrail is used

in case of Orchestration Mode neutron createNetwork is used .

is this understanding correct  ?.

with best regards

gaurav