Topics

[cia][sdc] Docker build fails on ARM #sdc #cia

Vitaliy Emporopulo

Hi,

We have started seeing Docker build failures in sdc/sdc-workflow-designer. They seem to be related to building on ARM platform, which is a recent change.

We are using fabric8’s docker-maven-plugin, version 0.23.0, and it fails to determine CPU (via FFI provider).

https://jenkins.onap.org/job/sdc-sdc-workflow-designer-arm64-master-docker-java-daily/18/console (also attached).

Does anybody else experience this issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

Vitaliy Emporopulo

Dear community,

After upgrading the docker-maven-plugin to 0.28.0, we are seeing a different error. This time the failure is in the command that installs a python library.

14:17:26 [ERROR] DOCKER> Unable to build image [onap/workflow-init] : "The command '/bin/sh -c apk add --no-cache 'python<3' py-pip && pip install cqlsh==4.0.1' returned a non-zero code: 1"  ["The command '/bin/sh -c apk add --no-cache 'python<3' py-pip && pip install cqlsh==4.0.1' returned a non-zero code: 1" ]

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

We have started seeing Docker build failures in sdc/sdc-workflow-designer. They seem to be related to building on ARM platform, which is a recent change.

We are using fabric8’s docker-maven-plugin, version 0.23.0, and it fails to determine CPU (via FFI provider).

https://jenkins.onap.org/job/sdc-sdc-workflow-designer-arm64-master-docker-java-daily/18/console (also attached).

Does anybody else experience this issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

Vitaliy Emporopulo

We got additional details by enabling verbose output for Docker build

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> [onap/workflow-init:latest]: Created docker-build.tar in 113 milliseconds

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> Step 1/6 : FROM alpine:3.7

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER>

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> ---> 9bea9e12e381

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> Step 2/6 : RUN apk add --no-cache 'python<3' py-pip && pip install cqlsh==4.0.1

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER>

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> ---> Running in 1fbfad806866

13:57:03 [INFO] DOCKER> [91mstandard_init_linux.go:190: exec user process caused "exec format error"

Googling around shows that this sort of errors happens due to an incompatibility between Docker/image/build platform.

I believe this has to do with the configuration of the build job.  According to https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Building+a+Multi-CPU+Architecture+Container+Image, no special changes to the Dockerfile are required.

I also came across https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Container+Images+Build+Process, which states that “Build issues have not been fully addressed (as of 12/18/2018).” If so, am I correct assuming that the failure is an expected behavior until the project has been made to support ARM? Does it make sense to run ARM builds on projects that do not support them yet?

Thanks,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

We have started seeing Docker build failures in sdc/sdc-workflow-designer. They seem to be related to building on ARM platform, which is a recent change.

We are using fabric8’s docker-maven-plugin, version 0.23.0, and it fails to determine CPU (via FFI provider).

https://jenkins.onap.org/job/sdc-sdc-workflow-designer-arm64-master-docker-java-daily/18/console (also attached).

Does anybody else experience this issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

Paul Vaduva

Hi all,

We created the arm64 jobs as ARM organization is interested on having ONAP Dublic release capable to run on arm64 platforms,

We make some investigations and fix some of the issues but of course some of them are discovered along the way,

This one for example relates to this issue:

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-18546

Merely that nexus3 does not support muliti-arch images (or manifest lists), in it’s implementation of docker registry.

And the docker registry (proxy) has made a local copy of

·         python: 2.7-alpine3.8 (single arch (amd64 only)

One quick fix is to refer the original dockerhub image for python (at least on the arm64 build servers as to not affect the x86_64 build performace) because docker hub supports multi-arch and actually has many achitectures for this image, and the docker client on the build server will download the apropriate architecture acording to the host.

Best Regards,

Paul Vaduva

We have started seeing Docker build failures in sdc/sdc-workflow-designer. They seem to be related to building on ARM platform, which is a recent change.

We are using fabric8’s docker-maven-plugin, version 0.23.0, and it fails to determine CPU (via FFI provider).

https://jenkins.onap.org/job/sdc-sdc-workflow-designer-arm64-master-docker-java-daily/18/console (also attached).

Does anybody else experience this issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Vitaliy Emporopulo

This message, including attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this email by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages sent to and from Enea may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, a mended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of email transmission. Anyone who communicates with us by email accepts these risks.