Topics

ONAP: communication components.

Michael O'Brien <frank.obrien@...>

Natacha,

  We discussed this briefly during the PTL call this morning – you bring up a good point – we need to revisit the dependency tree (static, deployment, runtime, compile time) – to get a good view of the system – there are several pages in the wiki – we should meet over this – Friday is a more open day, lets discuss this in the TSC.

  The diagram is a screencap of the original lucidchart diagram – there is no more to it – I just ran a full 3.0.0-ONAP deployment, did the following 2 commands to get pods and nodeports – I don’t plan on doing this manual diagram again – it was about 12h over a couple days – since 3.x was stable – it was a good time for snapshot – and I needed a diagram in which to enumerate log compliance (libraries, format, sidecars, shipping etc…) – there are no REST level API dependencies or deploy time pod dependencies in that diagram – just extraction of the DB layer from the pods.

              Kubectl get pods –all-namespaces

              Kubectl get services –all-namespaces

  Hi, that diagram only shows links from the filebeat sidecars into the logstash port on the ELK stack pods – for log streaming.

  I’ll keep any changes on the main page in https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Cloud+Native+Deployment

  You would be more interested in the levels of coms and compile dependencies between the pods.

  I created that diagram in lucidchart (for speed of drawing – easier than in gliffy) – it was a 1-time for casablanca – I am working on automating a live version as part of a dashboard.

  For static compile dependencies you can mine the pom.xml files

  For static pod dependencies you can mine the deployment yamls in the oom dir – this is how I derived the partial chart of pod dependencies enforced on deployment startup.

https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Log+Streaming+Compliance+and+API#LogStreamingComplianceandAPI-DeploymentDependencyTree-Containerlevel

  Most interesting would be the dynamic REST calls between the components – this would require going through all the code – or pulling the logs/metrics from the k8s stack during operations (would require 100% code coverage though) - Another option would be to either instrument/weave the rest controllers or more likely mine the logs generated during these saturation calls – easier to just browse the code – writing a parsing tool would be better but would likely take as much time as doing a pass through the code – like I did for the OOM dependencies.

   Sorry for the late reply – I have to triage/queue the work I do as I am currently overallocated.

  /michael