Topics

VES Event Registration implementation #vnfrqts #vnfsdk #controlloop

t.puha@...

Hi,

I’ve been trying to make sense of VNF requirements and their relationship to actual functionality in ONAP and I can’t find a way to reconcile them.

In particular, VES Event Registration (https://docs.onap.org/en/latest/submodules/vnfrqts/requirements.git/docs/Chapter8/VES_Registraion_3_2.html#ves-event-registration-3-2) defines some things that could be used for orchestrating some DCAE things and even considered as simplified control loop definitions, but they do not seem to match with any code in ONAP and not even the implemented concepts too well. A fair amount of grepping from code and googling the web did not find any code or implementation oriented documentation that would actually interpret these registrations in any way. I did not find even schema validation in the usual suspects (SDC, VNFSDK)

The only even slightly relevant looking thing I could find is in SDC that now contains a Generic Artifact Browser (https://gerrit.onap.org/r/gitweb?p=sdc.git;a=tree;f=common/onap-generic-artifact-browser;h=f7d99b7fcfa2a1f2df05e5631765596fec6d9054;hb=refs/heads/master) that includes some related looking files as tests, but even this really works on YAML level and does not understand anything about VES Event Registrations.

Is the VES Event Registration truly totally detached from the ONAP implementation? And you can do nothing with the registration file except by coding the support yourself?

Or if there is some related implementation, please give some pointers to code or implementation oriented documentation. It would not be the first time that I’m just unable to guess the right place in ONAP repos…

-Timo

Alok Gupta

Team:

Event Registration or the YAML document provides machine readable document to DCAE providing them the exact content of events (both VES defined and vendor defined) along with their recommendations the actions that should be taken when handling the event (using analytics mS).

Having said that, the YAML files should be stored in SDC as an artifact that is available for the designer and others users to use as needed. Some possible example are:

  • DB Schema creation, if needed
  • Policy definition for analytic mS

Some of the above use cases can be automated, but are currently manual. For now the onboarding YAML file provides the documentation on events and replaces the AIDs (Application Interface Document) that used to provide this information in the past.

The VNF vendor has the responsibility to provide telemetry data (VES Events) and related YAML Artifact to DCAE for Life Cycle maintenance. The need to ensure they follow the VES schema defined in the VES Listener Specifications. The can use the existing Agents in ONAP to aid correct formatting of events in VES format.

I have added a high level VES summary presentation as a reference on how YAML could be used..

Regards,

Alok Gupta

732-420-7007

MT B3 3A37