Re: VNF Security Requirements - El Alto Refresh: Meeting 19/7/25

natacha.mach@...

Hello,

Just a few remarks:

regarding VNFRQTS-672

------ OLD TEXT

      The VNF application processes SHOULD NOT run as root. If a VNF application process must run as root, the technical reason must be documented.

------ NEW TEXT

      The VNF application processes SHOULD NOT run as root.

      If a VNF application process needs to run commands with root privilege, the access to resource MUST be controlled so that the process can only be granted on resource that it is expected to manipulate. Access control to resources MUST be enabled e.g. using SELinux.

      If a VNF application process needs root privileges, the commands expected to be run with root privilege MUST be controlled e.g. using Linux Capabilities

      Rationale:

      There will be VNFs that require root privileges on the host for functionality such as SRI/OV.

==> indeed the initial requirement does not enable to ensure that running VNF application processes as root is performed in reliable and controlled conditions.
and another point, can this activity regarding unning VNF application processes as root be monitored? is it up to the VNF to handle this monitoring, or to the service? to ONAP?

regarding requirement: R-821839

    The VNF or PNF MUST deliver event records to ONAP using the common transport mechanisms and protocols defined in this specification.

==> it should be specified which information is expected by "event records"? is it sensitive?

Regards
Natacha