Topics

Deployment ONAP for Lab - Education

dz

Hi ONAP members. I'm dz doing study on mano and cloud virtualization. I have read ONAP since Amsterdam and just recently I'm interested to deploy ONAP to test it and learn the function and features. Most of my lab environment is using over virtualbox and baremetal (small scale). I have gone through ONAP guides and deployment materials but at the end I'm not sure which is good for me in term of PoC purpose, easiness to deploy and operate and based on my current resources (servers). Seems deployment ONAP require huge memory and cpu. For initial stage I would like to deploy ONAP and test it with simple vnf (vimss/vcpe/vfw/etc). Please advise me
1) What and which material I should refer and what is the best approach I can adopt to deploy ONAP for 1st time.
2) Can I deploy over VBox? or best over baremetal server? or over openstack
3) Can I deploy ONAP without openstack?

My target is to deploy ONAP maybe with required onap modules that I can use to launch services of vnf. Small scale lab that able for me to play around and test it further.
Thank you guyz for your attention and support. This is my 1st post and thank you for your responses.

Nowak, Damian (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) <damian.nowak@...>

Hi,

I think, a good start comes with the CDS use-cases demo pages.

There is as well a listing of OOM configuration needed to execute such a use-case, and that list is smaller, than a complete ONAP installation (less resources needed).

See here:

https://wiki.onap.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71832134 (ignore “ONAP/Dublin” – shall be ONAP/El Alto).

Have a look at the release notes too à https://docs.onap.org/en/elalto/release/releaserepos.html#doc-releaserepos

You will need some patches mentioned there, e.g. 1.7.6 container for SDNC for the VNF orchestration to work properly.

Rgds,

Damian

http://nok.it/onap

[...]

Hi Damian..thanks for your response.
I will go thr the docs (what is cds).
For setup environmt... over baremetal or openstack... possibl over virtualbx? Currently i have a server (12vcpu and 128G memory) and virtualbox on notebook (8vcpu 64G memory)

No openstack install at the moment. I plan to deploy onap first.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:27 Nowak, Damian (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw), <damian.nowak@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, 12 vCPUs will not be enough to have a running ONAP instance…

I think, you may need over 100 vCPUs for something nice to play with.

Rgds,

Damian

http://nok.it/onap

[...]

Thanks Damian...
I may need to run onap wth minimum spec ... at least to hve basic functn run that I can test... if minimum 100vcpu...it will be tough...but i will try it... and get more resources...
Any all-in-one package in onap?

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 18:25 Nowak, Damian (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw), <damian.nowak@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, Only OOM options.

These CDS pages I gave list somehow a minimum installation of ONAP, that you`ll need to have a running VNF instantiation use-case.
I don`t think, you`ll be able to fit that in a single server, but… You can try and let us know, if it works. There are ongoing footprint reduction actions happening in ONAP currently (Frankfurt release).

All-in-one package for ONAP doesn`t probably exist, You can have a look at off-line installation, but I am not sure, if this is what You`re looking for.

Rgds,

Damian

http://nok.it/onap

[...]

Eric Debeau

Hello

A full ONAP is using 25 vCPU and 136 GB memory.

You can also reduce the footprint using a subset of ONAP components:

Best regards

Eric